Saturday, November 29, 2008

Shared Items through morning of 11/29

I haven't had much to share lately. Here are a few:
  • A Wal-Mart employee was trampled to death in New York. I've never understood why people would want to go out shopping on a day that's so crazy that it's generally known as Black Friday, just to save a few bucks. It just isn't worth it. This has me even more dumbfounded than usual.
  • Scientists have found the mechanism for how resveratrol slows aging, and have demonstrated that it also works in mice. This could be huge. In the meantime, drink some wine and/or grape juice. Wow, we really loved run-on sentences when we wrote that thing (I can't remember whether I wrote it or edited it, but it was one of the first things I worked on at my current job).
  • Foundation movies are coming! It'll be interesting to see if they pull them off. If I'm remembering the right book in the series, Foundation spans hundreds of years (the series certainly does). That's a tricky series to make.
Hopefully that's enough to let everyone know that I'm still alive.

4 comments:

Jeffrey D. said...

Can you imagine being trampled to death at friggin' WAL-MART?!? I think we have just discovered the official "worst way to go." And that infinite second before your lights go out forever is spent staring out at gigantic, rabid shoppers in Wal-Mart sweatpants. *Shudder.* And of course the guy had no life insurance ... he worked at Wal-Mart!

Libby Hickson said...

I spent 40 minutes waiting in the check out line at Kohl's yesterday, am I now on your list of crazies?

I cannot believe the Walmart thing - no sale is THAT good!

Jon Harmon said...

You've always been on my list of crazies :)

Seriously, though, I don't get it. 40 minutes is less extreme than some of the insanity, though.

Die Anyway said...

re: Wal-Mart

I am rarely surprised and generally disgusted by the behavior of my fellow Americans. One of the Sunday morning pundits (I forget who) made a comment about the depths that we have sunk to when a shopping bargain is more important than a human life. Hanging over my computer monitor is a sign that says: People are no damn good! The NY Wal-Mart shoppers fit this category perfectly. I hope law-enforcement is able to prosecute the worst offenders.